[fluxus] interactivity issues

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Mon Jul 17 04:38:00 PDT 2006

Dave Griffiths wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Why does the 20-interactive.scm example work and the attached
>> interactive-edit.scm not work?  I've been puzzling over this for an hour
>> or more, and not got anywhere, and it's really frustrating, and I bet
>> it's something I'm doing wrong in a trivial way...
>
> it looks like the primitive type doesn't work with eq, eqv or equal.
> perhaps I have to write a primitive-eq?

I don't know, but if it would make what I'm trying to do work, then yes
please :)

> the example script works the other way round, checks if the mouse is over
> an object and only does something if it is.

Mmm, but this only works for trivial "somethings to do" - it's hard to
do anything complex if you can't find (by comparison operations) which
'concept' in the scheme world the object you clicked on corresponds to.

> this is due to the fact that
> mouse-over is slow, and you should only call it once per frame (maybe
> caching the result per-frame would be a good idea)

I already tried caching it in case it didn't work if you called it more
than once per frame ("(set! maus-over (mouse-over))" etc), but no joy -
I think it's the eq/eqv/equal issue.  But yes, caching would definitely
make sense, and I think it's fine for the user to have to take care of
that caching.

Context for my recent postings:  I'm trying to create a world of
semi-autonomous 'actors', that can do various things in the world,
interacting with each other and with the thing on the other side of the
keyboard.  So far I have: actors that can destroy themselves, and actors
that can create new actors, and that's about it so far ;)

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org