[fluxus] segfault when kicking a passive box

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Jul 14 02:48:36 PDT 2006

> Hi all,
>
> I get a segfault in fluxus-0.10rc2 when I try to kick a passive box.
> See attached script.

good work :) fix in cvs.

> This leads me to ask - is there a simple way for a script to check if an
> object is active, passive, or neither active nor passive?  I ran into
> this segfault when trying to make a Newton's Cradle[1], when I clicked
> on the wrong object, and being able to detect what type of object has
> been clicked could be useful for deciding what to do with a click.

no - that sort of querying is left to you to manage (same as current
object colour etc etc), you can build an associative list
(http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/Association-Lists.html#Association-Lists)
mapping primitives to lists of data you want to query, such as
active/passive etc and anything you like

> Another question, if I may:  why can't I make joints between active
> objects and passive ones?  Being able to do so would make life a lot
> easier (right now I'm having to build supports to hold things in place
> in all directions).  I guess that's a limitation of ODE and nothing to
> do with Fluxus, though?

you want to use fixed joints (build-fixedjoint object) which will
essentially lock the active object to the world - you can then connect
this to other active objects with normal joints.

I have a lot of things I'd like to add to the physics system (listed on
the wiki: http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=FluxusNotes) so I'd like to
hear more ideas of what is needed, as it's a little under developed at the
moment.