[fluxus] under the shade of abstraction

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Jul 13 06:27:13 PDT 2006

> potentially interesting, possibly diversionary... .
>  http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/mspk-abstract-shade-trees/
>
> abstract:
>
> As GPU-powered special effects become more sophisticated, it becomes
> harder to create and manage effect interaction using the fairly primitive
> shading languages. This difficulty also introduces a workflow problem:
> artists design effects but only programmers can implement them, making it
> impossible for them to work asynchronously.

Always the assumption that the notion of a programming artist/artistic
programmer is abhorrent :) I'm also surprised they didn't mention pixar's
efforts in this area: https://renderman.pixar.com/products/tools/slim.html
which has been used for this sort of thing for years.

The type coercion is very clever stuff though, and I thought the graphs
were rendered and editable over the graphics, which would be very fluxus
:) but I'm not so sure on further reading.