[fluxus] fluxus 0.8 on gentoo?

wlindner at vt.edu wlindner at vt.edu
Mon Jan 9 07:59:50 PST 2006

Quoting Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org>:

> > I'm currently trying to build a gentoo system  with fluxus installed that
> > I will have tv-out going to a projector.  I have a 2600+ AMD Sempron
> > processor (that's 64bit btw) and I have an nvidia card as well.  after
> > compiling all of the dependencies and checking with scons and later
> > installing with scons it only sorta works...  this is the error I get if I
> > try to load a premade .scm file:
> >
> > # fluxus
> > connected to jack...
> > terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
> >     what():   basic_string::erase
> > Aborted
>
> are you using 0.8, or a version from cvs? what is the script you are
> running when you see this? do not trust the scripts in examples - a lot of
> them are old and broken. I'm gonna remedy this situation soon.

I've tried both 0.8 AND cvs snapshot...  I believe I have tried bars.scm
physicstest.scm and ribbon.scm but I probably did quick tests just trying to
run more of them without any luck...

> are you running fluxus in 64bit mode (I assume you are if you are building
> it?)

do I need to do anything special to use 64bit mode?  I've emerged all the
packages according to how gentoo works and I'm building with scons...  it
should be compiled in 64 bit, right?

> > and I can't seem to get it to run much of anything from the normal
> > scripting interface.  IE: any sort of rendering outside of building a cube
> > shows me nothing at all.  Could the rendering problem be related to opengl
> > not properly being implemented?  but then again I have barely tested it
> > due to the fact that I can't load anything!
>
> so, does something like (load "examples/game.scm") fail to work? does it
> load the script into the editor, does it run the script? (that one doesn't
> use the audio) also, do you get any errors on the terminal?

the exact same thing happens when I try (load "examples/bars.scm") or whatever
the example is...  same error, it doesn't load it into the editor and it
definitely doens't run the script =(

> > I seem to have jack up and running and all of that is fine and dandy but
> > how do I test rendering that follows the music...  can I play music in
> > xmms like normal with jack output enabled?
>
> that should work, but you'll need to connect the output of xmms to the
> input of fluxus (Fluxus:In0) with an app like qjackctrl.

ahh, I will try manually entering something into the editor and seeing if that
will work...