[fluxus] [OT] fastbreeder

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Feb 15 05:05:43 PST 2006

> On 13 Feb 2006, at 11:54, Dave Griffiths wrote:
>
>> something vaguely related to fluxus:
>> http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fastbreeder/
>>
>> I have an idea we could evolve turtle builder commands, and send
>> them over
>> osc to fluxus.
>>

> some vaguely related to fluxus things:
>
> gerald de jong does something similar to what you're on about in
> fluidiom[1]: he breeds muscular structures which then crowl the
> virtual world. he tends to change his focus with every new book he
> has read and adjust what "fluidiom" stands for so have a look at the
> movies quick ;-)
>
> the structures are built by a small programs similar to turtle
> graphics. it those programs that he breeds actually.

very nice, I think there is a lot of untapped potential in this area that
hasn't been explored much since Karl Sim's work - also reminds me of
framsticks, but the structures are more complex than either.

doing that sort of thing in fluxus should be doable, I think, with some
sort of simplified evolvable description of connected physical structures.
It's the same problem as the livecoded physics objects actually, hmmm.

I think the most satisfying application of this sort of thing is where
they get built in real life:
http://helen.cs-i.brandeis.edu/pr/buildable/table/

> not really related but sounds (i mean literally) similar - carlo
> prelz's "fluido"[2]. i just thought fluxus, fluido and fluidiom could
> make a nice team together :-). fluido is his head really.
>
> [1]: http://fluidiom.sourceforge.net/
> [2]: http://www.fluido.as/
>
>> but as someone who really has to cut down on open source projects, it
>> might have to wait :)
>
> sorry to hear that "cur down" part

well, just stop making new things that get bug reports ;) I'd like to keep
on concentrating on fluxus.