[fluxus] Video Texture

nik gaffney nik at fo.am
Mon Dec 4 03:24:05 PST 2006

> Not yet, but a discussion of what people want would be very handy for me.
> At the moment I cant decide the best way to proceed.

as far as feature requests go...

- frame limit should not be an arbitary power of 2, but would probably be
memory limited

- looping without pauses is important, and something that pix found
troublesome in his experiments with ogre >
http://libarynth.fo.am/cgi-bin/view/Libarynth/VideoTexture

- the ability to support diff. resolutions, and bitdepths, but not necesarily
manual rescaling.

- being able to use the same mapping as textures, ie wrapped or tiled.

- smooth sequential replacement of textures [prob. related to looping]

- layered textures? alpha, being able to use the gl blendmodes...

> The other thing is what sort of interface do people want - how to control
> the playback via script commands? These are things I don't have much
> experience of (or video in general) so all ideas welcome... In a way this
> is more important as we can change the backend later on to support other
> files/streaming

in most ways, i thinks the interface should follow that of img textures. the
'load' command could use optional args or keywords for things like looping,
framerate, etc+ the manupulation [eg. playback speed, sequencing] requires a
bit more thought, but ideally would be similar, eg.
(framerate video-texture 25) or just (framerate 25) for a grabbed object. .

(of course, there are a few edge cases, such as what happens when changing the
direction of a keyframe based interpolated format (eg. mpeg) but these could
provide some interesting compost.. .. ) ))

using data from running video textures as a source of pdata, could also
provide some interesting diversions. ..

bzp,.
nk