[fluxus] Video Texture

dave dave at pawfal.org
Sun Dec 3 15:56:03 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 21:15 +0900, Christian Sandor wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I was wondering about the status of fluxus' video texture.

ain't started it yet!

> I have seen some message earlier on this mailing list.
> It seems that dave is working on it; however, he is not checking it
> into cvs?
>
> I would be interested to test the video texture code!
> Is there a way to become beta-tester? :-)

Not yet, but a discussion of what people want would be very handy for
me. At the moment I cant decide the best way to proceed. Ideally I'd
like to use videojack https://www.bek.no/mailman/listinfo/videojack but
I'm not sure of it's status (although Gabriel tells me it's ready to
rock) but I think it uses a special patched jack server, and I'm not
sure how it inflicts on audio jack usage, which is obviously pretty
important for fluxus.

So failing that - do I link against libquicktime? or use ogg theora?

The other thing is what sort of interface do people want - how to
control the playback via script commands? These are things I don't have
much experience of (or video in general) so all ideas welcome... In a
way this is more important as we can change the backend later on to
support other files/streaming etc.

Maybe the simplest way I can think of doing this is sticking with png
and using its motion capabilities http://www.libpng.org/pub/mng/ I guess
this would mean we'd have alpha support in videos...