[Fluxus] show-fps crash ubuntu lucid

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:52:44 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 08:59:33PM +0200, gabor papp wrote:
> > The "glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)", and the consequent glEnable
> this does not really make sense to me, maybe others can explain. but i'm
> happy it works :).
>
> i think there might be an issue here using glut. i'm not sure. glut
> requires calling glutInit, but this part of the code is coming from a
> shared library (fluxus-engine), not the main executable, in which glut
> was initialized. maybe your driver implementation does not like this.
> just guessing, though.

While it does not make sense, that does seem to jive with my idea that
show-fps (which heavily depends on depth-sorting as it should be on
top no matter what) has a issue with transparency, which also depends
on depth-sorting.

I'm not convinced there is not something wrong with the
transparency/depth sorting of show-fps and clearly this is a delicate
issue for GL implementations as it is a hard issue to do correctly and
fast, but no matter what it should not crash.

At least this is ok in this case for now.