[Fluxus] load music file instead of jack in os x

Federico Erostarbe erostarbe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 19:36:24 PST 2013

Hi all!

I just compiled fluxus in OS X 10.8.x and i can't get it to play nicely with jack, but i read about it being really tricky so i thought of trying to load a given music track instead. According to the documentation this is possible:

Syncing to audio

The (process) command does several things, it switches the audio from the jack input source to a file, but it also makes sure that every buffer of audio is used to produce exactly one frame. Usually in real-time operation, audio buffers will be skipped or duplicated, depending on the variable frame rate and fixed audio rate.

So, what this actually means is that if we want to produce video at 25fps, with audio at 44100 samplerate, 44100/25 = 1764 audio samples per frame. Set your (start-audio) buffer setting to this size. Then all you need to do is make sure the calls to (process) and (start-framedump) happen on the same frame, so that the first frame is at the start of the audio. As this process is not real- time, you can set your resolution as large as you want, or make the script as complex as you like.

But i just can't wrap my head around it. Any hint, please? Thanks!