[Fluxus] midi-position broken?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat May 19 13:26:24 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:10:48PM +0200, gabor papp wrote:
> >beat occured. Last night sync turned out to be broken and traced that
> >to midi-position giving these weird numbers.
> let me know if you manage to find the problem with git bisect. if
> not i can try to find a way to reproduce the problem. do i need a
> midi synth for this?

Most simple way to reproduce this;

-add a midi-interface to your computer
-use (midiin-open x) where x is the id of your interface to open it.
Note that there is no need at all to send a midi clock to this just to
see it go wrong.
-call (midi-position)

at that point, as there is no clock this should get you a list of
three zero's for bar, beat and pulse. Instead you will (may?) see two
particularly huge numbers for bar and beat and something reasonable
for the third value.

Interestingly with (midiin-open 0) which will most likely open a
virtual loopback device (for me it does on Linux, at least), I am
*also* consistently getting random numbers but those are in a
reasonable double-digit range. I'd expect those to be 0 as no data at
all should mean the default position at the start of the "song" but at
least they are not downright silly.

It is all a bit strange, I can't rule out that I myself am somehow to
blame but I can't yet see how.

I'd appreciate it if you could try to reproduce this, at least I'm
seeing it on two computers.