[Fluxus] latest project

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri May 11 04:01:23 PDT 2012

Dear all,

For your enjoyment a short video from last night;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=432229103453985&

(should be visible to non-FB users as well)

I re-implemented Pong so that everything would happen "on the beat",
balls hitting the paddle are quantised to the bar, bounces of the wall
to quarter notes. This is done by pre-calculating the ball's path as
it leaves the paddle (using geo-line-intersect, reflecting in the
normal, then recursing), then spreading out the timings for the
bounces evenly weighed by the distances. This pre-calculation also
makes space for latency compensation.

Some simple analysis is performed on how the players are doing (score,
length of volleys, etc). That data + the ball and paddle positions and
so on was send over MIDI to Ji Youn Kang who wrote the SC patch that
turns it all into a soundtrack. Then we handed original paddle
controllers for the Atari (soldered to a MIDI interface instead) to
audience volunteers to perform our "rule-based composition".

Also of interest to Fluxus users; using a low-rez pixels renderer
(32x32 pixels) set as a non-anti-aliased texture for a economical and
easy "8 bit effect" on the playing field.

I hope some of the atmosphere comes accross in the brief video.