[Fluxus] time while rendering

Rob Couto dbtx11 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:29:03 PDT 2012

On 6/1/12, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, the framerate isn't actually static, particularly saving tif
> files makes it all slow down a bit in spots and the time difference
> between frames become unequal. One element that I suspect is the
> time-based animations; (flxtime) doesn't seem to always be correct
> relative to this whole process. Is that the correct one to use here? I
> also tried time and time-now, none of those work glitch free for me
> here; it's a bit frustrating.

Hi Kassen,

This is the newbie formerly known as RPD-- yahoo got on my nerves so I
got a new address. I suppose it's time (pun viciously intended) to
point out that I've been working on improving the whole audio system
and this is one of the problems I solved, sort of. I added a function
(process-time) that returns the position in the WAV file, but I forgot
all about (flxtime) if I ever knew... I'll try to add that later
today. The fps is set by another argument to (process), and
(process-delta) magnificently just returns (/ fps). Looking closer, it
seems that (flxtime) and (time) return the same value-- I thought
there was a difference but I forget what that is.

If you want to see my unfinished mess, it's up at
http://gitorious.org/small-hacks/fluxus-mods in the "all-jacked-up"
branch. There are lots of other fun things like the jack buffer size
no longer being an issue, resetting jack and audio without restarting
fluxus, changing FFT size on the fly, multichannel audio (as many as
you please), and logarithmic amplitude and frequency scaling. The
scheme interface is to be considered unstable, especially the
jack-related commands... I prematurely added a few things that are
already useless... so please, if you play with it, don't get used to
it yet. My plan is to put jack-midi support in there after I come up
with a Real Plan and separate the jack and FFT parts enough that jack
can be used a single supplier of audio for that and other things like
aubio and projectM, which I mean to add sometime this summer. As far
as it all being a horrific glimpse into my C++ noobishness, consider
all disclaimed. I think I mentioned something like an idea for
multichannel neatness to Dave around two years ago, and it took me
this long to snap and start doing things. I meant to ask for comments
and suggestions as soon as I cleaned up (a lot) and got at least the
port-handling done better, but ah, well. Comments and suggestions are
welcome.

Rather than rewrite fluxus-audio, and since I meant to put in lots of
jack client commands and midi support, I copied lots of fluxus-audio
into a new module, fluxus-jack. I wrote the docs for everything, but
can't translate so wherever a function was changed so that I had to
change the description, I opted to wipe out the non-English blocks.
I'm going to get it running in windows, too... wish me luck :)

--
Rob