[Fluxus] Fwd: Re: scala.scm - rev 3a

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:37:45 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:46:51AM -0500, Joel Matthys wrote:

> Ugh, I see. I was learning as I went along about this stuff. Thanks!

No problem. We all are learning.

> That should be easy. It's stored in the *scala-size* variable. (BTW,
> it's probably better to say 'notes' in an octave. Keys means too many
> things to different people!

Ah, and here I was avoiding "notes" as I thought it could be
ambiguous. "defined pitches in the table", I mean. I'm anticipating
this will be fun for generative pieces that will work in multiple
tunings, and well, if that's a bad idea it's a simple feature.

> Oh, I like that. Good idea!

Great, then I add that too.

> I don't know of any standard. Your idea makes a lot of sense. I like the
> "scala-defaults" command. As I look back on it, I'm a little surprised
> at myself for resetting the diapason and base-key every time the scale
> changes. I can't think of any good reason for doing so. Ah, to be young
> and foolish again, back in December...

All quite ok. I very much like this model of development. Where we can
all contribute a bit and come up with a decent end result.

I'll get back to work on this tomorrow, stuff popped up today.

Thanks!