[Fluxus] scala.scm - rev 3a

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:48:33 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 07:27:02PM -0500, Joel Matthys wrote:
> Hi Kassen. I've made a few revisions and bug fixes since the last
> post, so I'm attaching my most recent version of the code.

Great!

> There are some new features, like the option of different types of
> interpolation.

Awesome.

> I haven't looked at it since December, but I think I already fixed
> that integer check bug you found.

I looked at the version you posted in the tread I was replying to, but
probably you found it; it wasn't hard to find or hard to fix.

> But the type checks you suggested
> are a very good idea.

Then I'll get to that, I've done a fair amount of that already and
it's not hard to do once you get the hang of it.

> I'm not quite sure what you mean about setting note 0 to 55 Hz.
> Right now it's set up with note 0 being a very low C, no matter what
> temperament you choose.

I just played around in the REPL with the diapason and the
base-key-number.

> I'm reluctant to move the default note 0 away from C because I think
> most musicians like to use C as their basic reference, even though
> A=55 is much easier math. Of course with (set-diapason ) and
> (set-base-keynum ) anyone is free to make note 0 any note they'd
> like.
>
> I also think the default temperament should be equal temperament
> since that's what our ears are most accustomed to. That's the way
> it's set up now.

This makes sense. It also makes sense that C would be "most in tune"
and it makes sense to stick to the MIDI standard, that is the way of
"least surprises". Then I'll leave that be here. I'll change teh help
file with it's reference to just intonation, there. In that case
Dave&me will probably set our own defaults in a "start-fluxa.scm"
because I do like being able to start bass-lines with note 0. Maybe
it's time to think about a ".fluxa.scm" to accompany the ".fluxus.scm"
now that fluxa also has some settings (previously it was only the path
for samples, I think).

> I'm absolutely fine with you including the code in your fluxa.ss.
> I'll put it under GPL2 also to make things easier. The helpmaps and
> type checks are a very good idea.

Lovely, then I'll get to work on this. Thanks!