[Fluxus] Building Fluxus on Debian squeeze

Marco Bertocco mrk250 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 10:51:23 PDT 2012

Hi to all,

after a while, I got Fluxus running on debian squeeze (both 32 and 64 bits).

I had to dig some search engines and to deal with some shell errors, so I
wrote down a little bash script to manage Fluxus installations on clean
Debian (It should work under ubuntu too)

Hope this script may be useful to someone, at least as step-by-step
instructions for Debian 6.

*Please note: I'm a web designer, not a programmer, so before running this
script anyone should look at the code very well cause [I think] it's very
rough shellcode*

---------- BEGIN OF SCRIPT
#!/bin/bash
#
#    Fluxus installer for debian squeeze
#
#    Author: Marco Bertocco - http://bquery.com
#    This script is distributed under the terms of GNU General Public
Licence v.3
#    The full licence text is available at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
#
#    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
#    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
#    (at your option) any later version.
#
#    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#    GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#    along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
#
#    Latest revision of this script: 18 Apr 2012.
#    If you get errors running this script, please look for workarounds and
fixes in the code comments
#
#
#    You MUST run this script as root, as default debian users are not
sudoers
#
#
#
#
#
#
BUILD_DIR=$(pwd)

# Remove previous sources of racket
rm racket-5.1.1-src-unix.tgz
rm -r racket-5.1.1
#
# Download and install racket 5.1.11 from sources
# Later versions of racket could work, but I have not tested yet.
# If you can run fluxus building later versions of racket, please let me
know.
wget
http://download.racket-lang.org/installers/5.1.1/racket/racket-5.1.1-src-unix.tgz
tar -xvf racket-5.1.1-src-unix.tgz
cd $BUILD_DIR/racket-5.1.1/src
mkdir build
cd build

# Configure racket to compile shared libraries and install them under
/usr/local/lib
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared
make
make install

#return into the build directory
cd $BUILD_DIR

# Remove previous sources of fluxus
rm -r fluxus
# Download latest fluxus from git [development repository: this is
necessary due to the transition from scheme to racket]
# Also this address should work: git://git.sv.gnu.org/fluxus.git
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/fluxus.git

# Be sure to have all dependencies installed
# Notice that some other packages will be installed as dependencies
# ode
# racket
# fftw
# jack
# libsndfile
# liblo
# glew
# libfreetype
# libasound
# scons
apt-get install libode-dev libfftw3-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libsndfile1-dev
liblo-dev libglew1.5-dev libfreetype6-dev libasound2-dev libopenal-dev
libglut3-dev scons

# Configure and install fluxus
cd $BUILD_DIR/fluxus
scons
scons install

# If you didn't get errors at this point, all the stuff should be installed
# Now you can simply run "fluxus" and have [a lot of] fun.
echo "Please be sure to have the path /usr/local/lib in you ldconfigs"
echo "If you get a \"shared object not found\" error then you should put
this line:"
echo "/usr/local/lib"
echo "in a file under /etc/ldconfig.so.conf.d/"
echo "and then run ldconfig as root."
echo ""
echo "Thank you for using this script."
echo "If you would like to contribute, extend or suggest something, feel
free to contact me at this mail address:"
echo "info [at] bquery [dot] com"
---------- END OF SCRIPT

Maybe I forgot to apt-get install some development package (I have most of
X11, mesa and openGL development packages already installed due to graphics
cards proprietary drivers previous installations), if you notice please let
me know.

finally, I would like to say that I have no words to express my
appreciation for this project and the author's choice to put it under our
beloved GPL licence.

I knew of fluxus a couple of days ago and I'm just... totally addicted.

Thank you!

--

Marco Bertocco
<mrk250 at gmail.com> http://bquery.com