[Fluxus] 1st steps w/ Fluxus, a bit difficult

Janis Geiger janisgeiger at gmx.de
Mon Apr 9 17:25:05 PDT 2012

Well, thanks guys!

About the manuals,
I found ~3 of them
*scheme-uk-fluxus.pdf
*fluxus-documentation-en.pdf, from 2011
*fluxus.pdf (flossmanuals), whichs seems to be the same
*fluxus-documentation-en.pdf, from 2010, which is a tiny bit different.

I've been using them a little bit, but for my purpose or wishes they're
lacking a bit of an outsider perspective, I need more control about what
the functions really mean & provide... more a "general" approach towards
making something, like an overview of 'functions > their options > the
outcome', like when I want to know how to achieve something that's not
really covered in the manual.

So, I'll have a look at those Racket Docs I think !

Thanks to a post by Dave on the mailing list I was able to upgrade
Scheme 4.2.1 to Racket (PLT Scheme) 5.2.1-1, and was able to upgrade to
fluxus-018 as well, but unfortunately I discovered you need Racket 5.1.1
for it to run...

So, I assume I should uninstall Racket 5.2.2 from synaptic now and
compile 5.1.1 from source, right?

At the moment, I get the following error when trying to run
fluxus(-018):

/usr/share/racket/collects/scheme/compiled/pretty_rkt.zo::0: read
(compiled): code compiled for version 5.2.1, not 5.1.1

=== context ===
standard-module-name-resolver

So, I'll have to sort that one out...

By the way,
what's the official / current source location for fluxus in general? I
found http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/fluxus.git , but I can only see
017-rc5,  the web page only links to 017-rc5 also... My current fluxus
had automatically been upgraded via synaptic.

I'll see what I can do with downgrading Racket.

Cheers / greetings

2012. április 9. 22:02 Kassen írta, <signal.automatique at gmail.com>:
        On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:44:48PM +0200, Janis Geiger wrote:
        > Hey

        Hey Janis!

        Since your questions are closely related I'll try to answer them
        in
        one swoop. Fluxus is mostly Scheme (particularly "Racket", a
        Scheme
        implementation) + a set of custom functions allowing you to use
        Scheme
        to address the OpenGL implementation as well as the other
        features
        (audio the physics engine, etc).

        Racket has a great online help at
        http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/index.html

        Our own stuff *should* all be documented under (help fluxus-fun)
        where
        "fluxus-fun" is the function that you are curious about. Where
        it
        isn't that is a problem in the documentation and it should be
        fixed.
        All of those should come with brief examples. Here and there the
        fluxus documentation does lack parts or has bugs, if you find
        something like that reporting it would be helpful.

        As for learning the language; learning Fluxus is essentially the
        same
        as learning Scheme, syntax-wise. If that is how you learn there
        are
        many texts about Scheme either online or available as books. You
        can
        also start with the Fluxus examples and see what happens when
        you edit
        bits. Once you feel you'd like to add new things to the example
        you
        could try some appealing looking things on the racket site.

        Either way, if you get stuck; shout and we'll see how to get you
        un-stuck. Also remember that if something looks extremely
        strange then
        it might be that you don't yet understand it but it could also
        be that
        there is simply a bug; in that case I'd shout too, instead of
        staring
        at it.

        Happy hacking!