[Fluxus] 1st steps w/ Fluxus, a bit difficult

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 13:02:32 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:44:48PM +0200, Janis Geiger wrote:
> Hey

Hey Janis!

Since your questions are closely related I'll try to answer them in
one swoop. Fluxus is mostly Scheme (particularly "Racket", a Scheme
implementation) + a set of custom functions allowing you to use Scheme
to address the OpenGL implementation as well as the other features
(audio the physics engine, etc).

Racket has a great online help at
http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/index.html

Our own stuff *should* all be documented under (help fluxus-fun) where
"fluxus-fun" is the function that you are curious about. Where it
isn't that is a problem in the documentation and it should be fixed.
All of those should come with brief examples. Here and there the
fluxus documentation does lack parts or has bugs, if you find
something like that reporting it would be helpful.

As for learning the language; learning Fluxus is essentially the same
as learning Scheme, syntax-wise. If that is how you learn there are
many texts about Scheme either online or available as books. You can
also start with the Fluxus examples and see what happens when you edit
bits. Once you feel you'd like to add new things to the example you
could try some appealing looking things on the racket site.

Either way, if you get stuck; shout and we'll see how to get you
un-stuck. Also remember that if something looks extremely strange then
it might be that you don't yet understand it but it could also be that
there is simply a bug; in that case I'd shout too, instead of staring
at it.

Happy hacking!