[Fluxus] Windows support? ::ducks::

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:33:05 PST 2011

> and what about jack? is it a real alternative for windows audio users? or
> should we use another audio interface?

My knowledge is only up to XP, but the issue as I experienced is that
ASIO was the only low-latency way of interfacing that was supported by
the kind of program we can anticipate will be used here (Ableton,
Renoise, Traktor/Final Scratch, etc). ASIO has decent latency, but it
assumes a single program will connect to a single soundcard (and claim
that whole card). I don't think we could even get the (or a) audio in
while the rest of the card is used by some DAW or similar. People then
use all their plugins and things as clients from the DAW.

Rewire as a protocol is no option, I think. I seem to remember they
have a library to use the protocol but refuse FOSS clients. On top of
that not everything supports Rewire.

Maybe Jack could work, it's out on Windows and suits our needs, but to
be honest I never heard of anyone actually using it, which makes me a
bit doubtfull.

If that doesn't work we could considder having a VST plugin that
passes on all input and also sends it FLuxus. That would work but it's
very hacky, more work and probably still leaves a lot of people out;
I'm not sure the current crop of virtual DJ programs support
insterting VST plugins on the main mix. Sadly that's the only option
I'm sure would work in practice (well, theory...) as that's also the
one I like least.