[Fluxus] rfc: (oa-set-pitch)

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 10:55:30 PDT 2011

> example:
> (define s (oa-load-sample (fullpath "sample.wav")))
> (define id (oa-play s (vector 0 0 0) 1 1 #t) ; looping sample
> (oa-set-pitch id 2.0)
>
> what do you think? comments are welcome.

In this case "id" refers to a playing voice, and when you use oa-set-pitch
to change the pitch as the voice is already running? That sounds like a nice
idea, really. IMHO addressing of individual playing voices is
under-appreciated in electronic music. MIDI doesn't support it outside of
polyphonic after-touch, which is already so exotic that it's rarely
implemented.

It looks good as structure to me now, but I'm not sure -from memory- how OA
deals with polyphony and potentially voice-stealing. If you want to keep
going in this direction you may need some sort of house-keeping that keeps
track of the currently running voices.

More generally; clearly OA solves some need that you have that Fluxa won't
solve (yet?). It might be worthwhile to figure out how the two will relate
to each other. Then again; maybe it would also be nice to simply have 2
different systems for sound.