[Fluxus] (sample ) cleanup

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 03:14:40 PDT 2011

Dear list,

The last (I think..) known issue with the redacted branch was that while
(sample ) would now work with negative frequencies it'd crash the whole
thing if a given file were played back in reverse before it finished
edits on top of that made it hard to bug-fix. So, after consulting Dave, I
took a spring-cleaning broom to it, that ended up looking more like a
re-write.

Now we have;
*Operation as normal, as currently in Master.
*Reversed playback at negative frequencies.
*Node-based modulation

That last one was a bit tricky, because nothing prevents a node from
switching between negative and positive values rapidly, which means that
theoretically speaking the point from where we start playback (either the
start or the end) can be a bit of a guess. I tried to write it in a way that
will lead to interesting sounds at such odd kinds of input.

I tested all of this quickly, just now. I didn't edit the docs as the new
operation is more or less like the most positive interpretation we could
give to the existing docs. CPU load should be comparable or might be a bit
lower. Realtime modulation will of course take a bit more cpu.

I'm fairly sure we can now get rid of the "event" code as well; I think only
the sampler used that. "eventcue" and "commandring" should probably also be
checked to see whether they are still needed.

Dave, have a look. Unless there is something I'm overlooking I think we can
now also consider a merge.