[Fluxus] path&string

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 12:04:34 PST 2011

Hello Gabor&Dave!

On 14 January 2011 11:56, gabor papp <gabor.lists at mndl.hu> wrote:

> Yep I think this is the way to do it. A path type makes sense as it can
>> deal with cross platform differences.

I'm happy there is agreement here and it's not just me. It was a odd
experience to feel happy about turning a directory listing to a set of
textures in one swoop, then increasingly feel uneasy about the whole thing
as I looked at it.

>  ok. i added it to (load-texture) and (load-primitive)

Jay!

> and there's a PathFromScheme function in SchemeHelper.

Maybe this is what you mean, but I expected a "path from string" function to
be mentioned here. I don't know what a "path from scheme" one would do and
neither do the racket-docs (which, BTW, I'm starting to get very fond of
indeed). Is this a typo?

We do need to support strings here, IMHO, as strings is what people are used
to and on top of that it's not worth breaking so much code at once, IMHO.
Side; note if this changes for textures and objects then I'd say audio
samples and likely .scm files to be loaded need it too. Especially audio
samples where loading a whole directory could be a great help for sound
collages in Fluixa. It'd also open the way to third parties or external
sources writing audio to a given dir while we run Fluxus (for example SC or
CK or a group of people uploading field recordings).

Thanks!