[Fluxus] show-fps bug

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 21:44:53 PST 2011

Rob;

> If it was in 2D then everything
> would probably work out fine but I was already lost in that world from
> trying to put the blur plane in order. Hope this helps...

Yes, I see. There are more than a few questions here. I'm not even sure that
currently the text overlay is working correctly with the blend modes and
blur (which interact as we saw a bit ago).

Frankly it's becoming harder and harder to say exactly what the desired
behaviour is. We clearly want to be able to use all functionality all the
time and we'd like to be able to hide the code at times. On the other hand
we'd also like to be able to mangle the code and make a nice mess.

Personally I suspect that if we want those two things we may need to move
the code to a separate renderer where it can have it's own settings for
blend-mode, blur, colour and shaders, using some dedicated way of addressing
those. That way the code should be safe from accidental artefacts and be
open for intentional ones. On the downside that means extra renderers; the
current one for the scene, one for the code, fps, errors (I'm not done with
that concept yet) and a possible future hud that Gabor hinted at plus a
master one to mix the two. Not sure what that means for default CPU usage
when no dedicated GPU is available. Right now Fluxus works well enough
without a GPU that you can get hooked and consider this when buying a new
system; lots of people lack a GPU, though Vista and Aqua are doing
convenient work there.