[Fluxus] scala.scm, rev. 1

Joel Matthys joel at matthysmusic.com
Wed Dec 21 07:53:28 PST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 15:55 +0100, Kassen wrote:

> I imagine that if you draw a "best fit" curve through the known points
> you could come close. That would also be quite expensive, not to
> mention very hard.
> Of course the question remains how of how much sense that would make
> in practice for many tuning.

I think most people who want to do microtonal stuff will want to do it
with equal temperament, and that's already implemented. Scala files
aren't really suitable for microtonal because it's possible to define
vastly different interval sizes from one note to the next, so I think
anyone who tries it should be happy with what they get. The "purist"
approach would be your "brutal" method, (floor ) the keynum, but I think
a little interpolation would be nice.

I think curve fitting would be overkill here. In the past I've
implemented simple linear interpolation, which is a cludge but should be
good enough for our purposes.

Joel