[Fluxus] Fluxa sync question

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:38:52 PDT 2011

> Sorry for the delay, holiday times...

That's ok, things are chaotic here too :-)

> Yes, none of it is that easy. Well done for sticking with it...

This did indeed require some persistence... But now I have it working; since
yesterday Fluxa will slave to my Korg Electribe groovebox, since today
jitter is down to below what I consciously notice, live-ammo field test on
local radio scheduled for tomorrow, commit once I'm sure it's all proper and
when I get my work computer on the internet net again.

I'm doing some things a bit differently, that seems to make sense as MIDI is
quite different from "slub-sync" or netclock and the like. Basically I'm
slaving it to MIDI directly, at the resolution set by the fluxus
midi-signature but with a delay of exactly one bar. For simplicity I'm
having it slave to midi as soon as a midiin in opened that has a clock
signal coming in and at that moment I'm ignoring the tempo set by the return
value of "seq". This seems to work quite well and using midi-set-signature
we can still set the resolution. I'm also re-using your "set-global-offset"
to compensate for latency at either end.

So far I like it, I'm not sure what the repercussions of this strategy are,
if any, but I quite like the idea of livecoding synced to drummachines,
grooveboxes and potentially those modern DJ applications.

New stuff I made to realize this;
(midi-beat-dur) ; duration of a midi beat in seconds where what a "beat" is
is defined by the set signature
(midi-bar-dur) ; as above for a bar (I needed this for the delay mentioned
above as multiplying a beat gave needless jitter)
(midi-last-beat-time) ; time at which the last beat came in as determined by
the signature and in the standard set by (time-now) and fluxa's "time". This
too is set in the C++ midi-callback function which I believe should prevent
frame-rate induced jitter. I'm not a 100% sure there yet; if that's wrong
then I have a problem.