[Fluxus] fluxus on android

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Apr 26 03:51:24 PDT 2011

Hi Evan,

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 10:09 +0100, evan.raskob [lists] wrote:
> This is incredibly cool - I'm glad you've finally got a decent phone and started hacking it ;)
>
> I'm not sure I understand from your posts - did you write Android
> fluxus in Java, with JNI calls to the C++ libraries? If so, I have a
> lot of code kicking around to use sensors and whatnot via the
> Processing on Android project, which is moving very far along.  (I've
> been developing Java games using Processing on Android with my
> students)

It's mostly C/C++, the java consists of a couple of classes to set thing
up and provide the gl context - similarly to the glut app in the main
version.

I realise I forgot to add the java src directory to git, just fixed:
https://gitorious.org/flotsam/flotsam/trees/master/android/fluxus

One idea is to expose all the sensors to the fluxus script and port
scheme bricks so you can plug them together somehow. This is going to be
a bit of a research project so it might take a while.

The biggest problem at the moment is that tinyscheme is really too slow
for what we need for every-frame type of work. (if you run the current
apk you'll see what I mean) I've got so used to racket's multiple jit's
and advanced optimisation mechanisms.

I'm starting to consider clojure again as a possibility, but this was
quite slow too when I tried it on android 6 months ago.

I guess one obvious approach is to work on an android ndk port of the
racket core, which doesn't sound too hard for what we'd need (it's been
ported to iOS):
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@racket-lang.org/msg04024.html