[Fluxus] lambda

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 08:46:21 PDT 2011

>  on... Shouldn't there be a possibility to have AltGr + L (or similar)
>> insert
>> a "λ".?
>>
> i'm not sure if glut can detect altgr (and there's no altgr on my mac), so
> i added it to alt+l.
> committed to git.

Cool! Yes, there is a problem with modifier keys across systems and across
keyboard layouts. AltGr (right alt) is the only more or less standard thing
that I know of but some Apple keyboards lack the right alt and I think the
"us" keyboard layout that seems to be more or less default (to the point
where "nl" layouts are hard to find in the Netherlands!) makes no real
distinction between left and right alt for entering characters.

Just using alt + L, then praying that it doesn't conflict with some OS or
Window manager seems like a good pick.

Thanks!
Kas

PS. It's a source of personal frustration to me that the omnipresence of
us-layout keyboards, which lack support of accented and similar characters,
is -apparently- causing the distinction between "één" (English: one) and
"een" (English: a) to disappear from written Dutch. I'd argue that there is
enough difference between "I have one eye" and "I have a eye" to make it
explicit which one is meant.