[Fluxus] rubyk & fluxus

Gaspard Bucher gaspard at teti.ch
Fri Sep 17 08:42:13 PDT 2010

On the interoperability side, I have been working for two years on an OSC
based protocol to ease inter-application communication (easy discovery of
apps and features, method signatures, easy to subscribe to signal slots,
remote update, etc). The OSCit project (http://rubyk.org/oscit) and library
is slowly stabilizing (there is even a wiki to discuss decisions:
http://xdif.wiki.ifi.uio.no/OSC_Plug_And_Play). I'll probably move oscit
from UDP to zeromq for reliability and size of messages.

I can start the Impromptu war: it's for the elite who can afford a high end,
newest mac laptop. Want to be stuck eating bad hyped apples all your life,
go ahead !

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>wrote:

>> A seething vi/emacs like religious war - no, nothing that exciting
>> really - I had a beer with Andrew Sorenson once...

A paid beer to have some free speech or a free beer to shut up ? Or just
penguin alcohol (homebrew, no cost, will make you sick) ?

;-)

I read ChucK fluently, way faster than I can (currently...) read Scheme and
> I don't get all of it but *still* I find Sorenson's performance videos some
> of the most compelling viewing in all of the scene. In particular he is able
> to create longer performances that stay coherent and engaging; I have a huge
> admiration for his work.

Agreed.

> What appeals less to me is that it looks like Impromptu is
> most concerned -on the audio side- with controlling external synths over
> MIDI or some plugin interface. This may have changed; I think I heard about
> them including a synthesis engine?

Impromptu can tweak sound through some JIT compilation of scheme inside
custom audio units (uses LLVM).