[Fluxus] rubyk & fluxus

Gaspard Bucher gaspard at teti.ch
Thu Sep 16 02:05:13 PDT 2010

Hi guys !

I was impressed by the work you did on (fluxus), great job !

I fell on (fluxus) while looking for a functional scripting language to add
to Rubyk (http://rubyk.org). In two words, Rubyk is an open source real-time
signal processor (used for movement recognition and other installations).
Rubyk is a patcher like max/MSP but with a focus on scripting, network
transparency (OSC based) and concurrency.

Rubyk also lets you live code with any editor (more then one person at a
time because of the network nature) but there is one major difference from
what I understand with (fluxus): you can have many scripts processing
messages in the same Rubyk process. For example:

[VideoIn]---> [feature extractor (Lua + OpenCV)]

[Captor] ---> [motion (sub-patch)]  |
                |     |             |
                v     v             V
[GLWindow]--> [fluxus1 (scheme)        ]

      +-----> [fluxus2 (scheme)]

Ok, so here is my question:

Do you think that the graphical part of fluxus can be embedded (used as an
object) in Rubyk ?

This would either require multiple virtual machines (no globals, ideal
solution) or the use of a global mutex on the VM.

>From my understanding of the source tree, I should first manage to have a
Scheme interpreter working and then users could start their scripts by
including libfluxus.

Using (fluxus) from within Rubyk would mean that any signal that can be
received in Rubyk (serial port, motion capture, remote box, video, Mimas
GUI, etc) could be plugged into fluxus and used to alter the rendering,
enabling distributed installations with multiple screens and such.

What are your feelings about this ?

Cheers,

Gaspard