[Fluxus] gameplay footage

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 10:30:54 PDT 2010

On 29 October 2010 17:18, evan.raskob [lists] <lists at lowfrequency.org>wrote:

> Nice, I see...
>
> If only coding required typing less code, but with more explosions.

The explosions were certainly good for fixing game balance!

The underlying idea of this game is essentially rock-paper-scissors. Big
&straight shots were supposed to beat high curve balls, counters were
supposed to beat the big shots and the curve-balls should beat counters. The
issue was that that last relationship didn't quite work so that made
gameplay deteriorate. With some re-scaling of the damage and those big
circular explosions (which are bigger for hits that end up higher on the
building) it now works.

To get back on topic, I think that we are really only happy if we
keep stretching ourselves and try on projects a bit harder and a bit more
involved than our last. It's quite logical that creating more distractions
and difficulties will quickly push us over the edge as that's the very edge
we are trying to stretch. Of course the reverse is that a distraction like
that might get us un-stuck as well. Overall virtual explosions seem to be
about as inspirational, useful and versatile as real ones are the opposite.

How is your own course on Fluxus game-design coming along? Will there be
online materials from you or your students to enjoy?