[Fluxus] commits: midi-out

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 22:20:16 PDT 2010

On 2 October 2010 03:46, Eric Wafford <psykel at gmail.com> wrote:

> The one thing I can think of off the top is the issue of polyphony.

You could maintain a list of the currently sounding notes? Perhaps with
their planned duration? This list could also help in the case of synths with
a known max polyphony

> Then after that would be a flush command of some sort, in my work with midi
> I have found that things can sometimes get out of hand when generating midi
> out from computers and not sending the corresponding note offs.
>
> What you may want is a value of 0 on CC 123;

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

That corresponds to "all notes off" or "panic" as many synths and sequencers
call it. I think hardware is supposed to support this, but sadly not all
manufacturers stick to the standard completely.