[Fluxus] Question (attempt 2, please ignore the previous incomplete message)

Hugo van Galen hugovangalen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 02:22:20 PDT 2010

Thanks Dave & Gabor for the quick replies.

Dave Griffiths wrote:

> <snip>
>

> It might be useful for you to check out structs:
>
> http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/define-struct.html?q=define-struct#%28form._%28%28lib._racket/private/base..rkt%29._define-struct%29%29
>
> You can make fields mutable so you can set them. The reason this is
> always a made bit tricky is because the language leans heavily in the
> direction of functional programming, while not entirely forcing it on
> you.

This is very useful info, thanks for that link.

> Lists are immutable, meaning that if you want to change an element you
> need to rebuild the list each time.

Ahahaha, that's quite crucial to know -- if I am trying to accomplish the
impossible I can stop wondering why it does not work. :)

gabor papp wrote:

here's a small example that might help.

> -----
> <snip>

Wow, that really makes me wonder why I hadn't asked this list before. That
little piece of code explains a lot to me; the "map" and "for-each" were
still a bit foggy to me but that's cleared up now. In fact, I had a little
aha-erlebnis there and it felt wonderful. :-)

Again, thanks, for the enlightening responses!

Cheers,
Hugo