[Fluxus] Question

Hugo van Galen hugovangalen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 00:17:48 PDT 2010

    Hi list,

I have only recently joined this list, so please be gentle ;-)

I am a coder by profession with a C, C++ and Pascal background. Recently I
discovered (fluxus) and have been playing around with it and it has been fun
so far, although a little frustrating at times.

See, and hence this message to the list, I seem to be running into some
practical problems which I cannot find a solution for. (This may be partly
because of my inexperience with LISP in general: the last time I used it was
in AutoCAD in the late 80's...)

Anyway, here is the situation:

- I build an X amount of cubes with the "build-cube" command.
    From what I understand so far, this is the best philosophy: "building"
the primitives rather than "drawing" them every-time.

- I want to manipulate its size and rotation.
    So far, not a problem. After I 'build-cube' I manipulate this with

- At a certain point, I want to "re-set" all the cubes to their initial
size, i.e. "scale = 1".  This, without reseting its position and/or
rotation. So the (identity) call is not what I am looking for (or is it?)].

I have taken a look at all the various examples but there doesn't seem to be
anything resembling what I'm trying to do here (and I cannot imagine me
being the first trying). Iit seems to me that, if (scale 1.5) increases the
size by 150%, the environment *must* know the current scale/size of that
primitive? Or is my understanding completely flawed here? ;)

I have seen the "get-transform" function, but I am a bit puzzled by what it
returns, it doesn't seem to have the info I'm looking for.

As a workaround, I have tried to maintain an array of 'sizes' that I
inspect, and calculate the new "scale factor" from it. Interesting idea but
this horribly fails due to not having grasped how LISP handles variables /
lists [array element does not get updated].

I have a feeling that what I am trying to accomplish is already perfectly
possible and hope to get a hint into the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Best regards,
Hugo