[Fluxus] More fluxus-midi: bug #25960, possible solutions

Hugo van Galen hugovangalen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 03:41:08 PDT 2010

Last night I ran into the known bug that it is not possible, or unreliable,
to switch between MIDI ports (bug #25960). Looking in RtMidi.cpp, I noticed
that the openPort() simply rejects a new connection once one has been
established.

A call to midiin->closePort() prior to the midiin->openPort(..) seems a
simple effective fix to the problem; but the downside to this is that it
will also shortly disconnect when calling it on the port that is already
opened, which may be undesirable behaviour. So, perhaps a more elegant
solution could be to implement a (midi-close) command that calls
closePort()?

What do you guys think?

A (midi-close) could possible be useful anyway, as there is currently no
facility to do that from the program itself -- only by using qjackctl et al.

Just thinking out loud... :-)

Cheers,
Hugo