[Fluxus] obj loading speed

gabor papp gabor.lists at mndl.hu
Sun Jan 17 07:06:13 PST 2010

hi Dave,

> It's a long time since I looked at this code, but could it test if all
> the indices were the same for a vertex and skip the processing?
good idea! i did this and the loading time dropped to 1.4 seconds. the
file size increased from 1.2mb to 4.8mb, so now only basically line
processing and tokenization take time. with a 3.8mb obj file the loading
time was about 30 seconds, with the optimized version it went down to 16
seconds, and now it's about 4.3 seconds if all the indices are the same
(file size increased to 15megs).

> Thanks for this - am I missing some faster way, e.g. some way to use
> separate indices in OpenGL?
as far as i know, you are right, opengl needs unified indices.

best,