[Fluxus] unicode

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Feb 12 04:27:31 PST 2010

Hi all,

Well it might be better now. I'm not really sure.

If your keyboard returns a value over 0x7f (in the extended ascii range)
it's now put into the text buffer without conversion.

Below is the rather uninteresting backstory:

This seems to be (a possible) right thing to do, as the most common
extended ascii mapping is ISO 8859-1:

"because Microsoft Windows (using the code page 1252 superset of ISO
8859-1) is the dominant operating system for personal computers today,
unannounced use of ISO 8859-1 is quite commonplace, and may generally be
assumed without evidence to the contrary."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII#Character_set_confusion

And in unicode land:

"The UCS characters U+0000 to U+007F are identical to those in US-ASCII
(ISO 646 IRV) and the range U+0000 to U+00FF is identical to ISO 8859-1
(Latin-1)."
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

So é = 0xe9 (ISO 8859-1) = 0x000000e9 (utf-32)

So now if your keyboard spits out 0xe9 it might just work as advertised.

The problem for me is that the only character I seem to get with a lot
of these keyboard mappings is 0xc3 (Ã) for a load of keys - which
happens to be the start byte of a utf-8 character, but this may just be
an annoying unrelated hardware thing, or something else entirely.

I want to make pictures! :)