[Fluxus] port abuse

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 08:31:41 PDT 2010

On 23 August 2010 16:30, evan.raskob [lists] <lists at lowfrequency.org> wrote:

> Ha!  Great idea.  I like that idea, it's very immediate and playful.

That's the plan! :-D

I'll -of course- share the source for this but there are rough edges still,
and a real chance of getting your computer stuck that I'd like to iron out.

One thing I wonder about is keeping it readable. Maybe I should use my
scaling and combine it with newlines to make sure the error is always large
enough to read through the text. Maybe the code should become a bit more
transparent while there's a error. What I could also do is limit the flow of
the scratchpad text to leave a bar at the top of the screen and make sure
the first (often most important) line of the error ends up there.

It'd also be good to have some sort of clever way (more clever than
"(clear-print)"...) to get rid of these again. I could fade them out, or
maybe I can somehow get the system to notify me of
a successful parse attempt and use that as my clue.

Maybe there should be a "deluxe" edition with some visual effect as the
error get's "blasted" on the screen? Oh, and this will probably need a name
too, it could be a bit like turntablism, where certain setups and
configurations used in battles have names. "scene-port" (for a port that's
within the scene) is a bit boring. Notes and suggestions welcome.

I do really like how we can use Fluxus to modify how we interact with Fluxus
like this... and this was especially self-referential because I got a lot of
errors getting this far, yet half of the time my homebrew current-error-port
was in no capacity to deal with those, which gave some "error-bombs". A new
and exciting way of crashing, for me.