[Fluxus] piecing together framedumps?

evan.raskob [lists] lists at lowfrequency.org
Fri Aug 20 07:05:23 PDT 2010

On 20 Aug 2010, at 13:14, Kassen wrote:

> Yep!  [PLUG] In fact, if you're into Java, this is what I automagically do with my collaborative open source music video installation (source code for download): http://pixelist.info/drawn-together/
>

> I had  seen that. After I got your mail, and didn't see anything about music, I thought "wait, but Evan uses music too, right?" and looked up your work.
>
> The accompanying text notes how this is crowdsourced and that's clear; I did feel the images were affected a bit by the section of music they were linked to (as well as to the behaviour of crowds, with some drawn genitals and somebody writing her name, etc) so that works. You also note that it's Open Source, but beyond imposing artistic constraints I didn't see any comments on the influence of the software on the drawings (as far as I saw). I do think there might be some as swirly shapes were more common than I'd expect them to be.
>
> Perhaps it would be interesting to investigate that link in the future. It might give info on how to crowdsource more effectively and on how some omni-present software like Ableton or Potoshop might affect much of the media we consume.

You make some good observations - I think they will be addressed when I show it a few times and get enough people to try it (there are two more showings coming up soon).  I realized, very early on, that I would need many more people to contribute to it to address those issues (and to try it out with different types of music).  It takes a LOT of work to animate a video, frame-by-frame, even with the help of some digital technology!  Also, I have another (hidden) mode that I wanted to test, where people see a "ghost" of the previous frame when they draw their contribution, meaning they can choose to ignore or embellish the previous participant's work.

Hopefully, people will download the app (and the source code) and start experimenting with it on their own! I'd love to see that, and what they come up with.

> Of course that's just my take, regardless of the direction it takes this is a exciting project.

Thanks!

Best,
Evan