[Fluxus] newbie problems

Emilio Zamudio Murillo oilime666 at hotmail.com
Mon May 25 21:05:05 PDT 2009

Hi, I've been testing live coding apps for a while and discovered fluxus. It seems to be the kind of system I need but unfortunately I can't get it to work on my laptop (I'm using a macbook-not pro).

First, I downloaded the dmg for osx from the website, and it loads but crashes every single time after a while, even if i don't type anything. I don't know how to get error logs on osx, but I have this same kind of crashes with other apps that use opengl (such as blender) so It might be an apple problem? (I'm using os x 10.5.6). Anyone with the same kind of laptop has any clues on this? I tried with and without jack and that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Second, I tried to compile it on Ubuntu 8.10 (64 bits) on the same machine. I downloaded the source from the web page, installed the needed libraries with the correct config (i think) and got stuck with the folowing error when I run scons:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libode.a(box.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libode.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [modules/fluxus-engine/fluxus-engine_ss.so] Error 1

I honestly don't know what that means. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Emilio.