[Fluxus] static builds

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Sat May 2 10:45:10 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 19:03 +0200, gabor papp wrote:
> hi Dave,
>
> > I've added some flags to the build to allow fluxus to be built with
> > the binary modules embedded. This is mainly to help out with
> > packaging
> great! thanks.
>
> i'm looking at the modifications checking the similarities with
> the osx application, and noticed that you included only a few modules.
> don't we require scheme/pretty, scheme/class, and frtime also? i would
> also include ffi, so the users could use scheme bindings for binary
> dynamic libraries.

Simply because I was trying to find out the bare minimum (and get rid of
some dependencies - eg srfi replaced by a one line function) Feel free
to add these...

Heres a static everything binary, I've just tested it on a clean install
of ubuntu hardy, and it 'just works' without installing anything:
http://www.pawfal.org/fluxus/files/fluxus-0.16-hardy-bin.tar.gz

This feels a bit dirty on linux though, and I've been looking at debian
packages as well today, looking at Artem's files in the launchpad bzr
repo. Is there any reason we shouldn't have these files (the debian
subfolder, and the equivalent on other distros) in git?

Ubuntu wise, it looks like jaunty and karmic include plt 4.1.3 at the
moment, so we might not need to worry so much about static linking
against mzscheme - but it is nice to be able to have control over the
version we use.