[Fluxus] google soc project ideas

evan.raskob [lists] lists at lowfrequency.org
Tue Mar 10 09:14:24 PDT 2009

Hi Matt,

That was my goal, as well (at another art college).

Thankfully, Gabor has done this - on OSX, there is a disk image you
can use that is self-contained.  Just stick it in applications.
There was just the issue of the scheme example files and
subdirectories not being in the disk image - Gabor, is that fixed?

Cheers
Evan

On Mar 9, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Matt Jadud wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org>
> wrote:
>> I'd also like to go in the other direction at the same time -
>> having a
>> stripped down fluxus that can be easily distributed as binary. I'm
>> thinking it would take the form of a single executable with most
>> things
>> removed - eg no sound processing, ode, midi, etc.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Having the ability to go from source to installer without any hoops is
> a huge plus for any project. Right now, it is daunting to think about
> using Fluxus with students in any context, because it looks like a lot
> of work to get set up.
>
> Anything that makes the tool easier to build (for developers) and
> install (for users) is a big win, in my book. I'd love to be able to
> offer a cross-listed course with the art department at my college,
> where we explore algorithmic approaches to digital art, and explore
> the live production of art through tools like Fluxus. If you strip the
> sound processing, you might strip too much of the interesting
> bits---but if there are things that can make it easier for people too
> lazy/busy to install/build everything (but have a lot of Scheme
> experience), that would be awesome, and probably a long-term win.
>
> Mind you, I haven't sat down and tried to put together a livecoding
> rig on any of our classroom machines. Nor have I asked our admin to
> look into it. So, perhaps this is already possible, and I'm just
> uninformed. (Entirely possible!)
>
> In other words, I love watching what your tools can be used to
> produce, but need something that is closer to the PLT Scheme tools in
> terms of installation complexity before I dive in. (Or, if you prefer,
> I should be able to "drag-and-drop" and be done with a Fluxus
> install.) If that is already the case, my apologies for suggesting!
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

Evan Raskob
Top Floor