[Fluxus] Rotation Matrix issue

Scott alcoholiday at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 18:04:21 PDT 2009

OK - here's another one that has me scratching my head - and this time
I looked in the bug tracker before posting.

As far as I can tell - we're a right handed coordinate system, which means:

z-------x

Where the "z" above is coming out of the screen.
Positive rotations about an axis mean COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (or
anti-clockwise if you speak British) rotations. That is, 1) rotating
45 degrees about x, should push the y-axis in to the +y,+z quadrant
and 2) rotating 45 degrees about z should push the x-axis into the the
+x,+y quadrant and 3) rotating 45 degrees about y should push the
z-axis in to the +z +x quadrant.

Well, doing a little checking, this is what I see:

1) X - puts y-axis +y, +z quad and puts z-axis -y, +z (AS EXPECTED)
2) Z - puts x-axis +x, +y quad puts y-axis -x, +y quad (AS EXPECTED)
3) Y - puts x-axis +x, +z quad puts z-axis -x, +z quad (???????? - BACKWARDS)

It has been something like 10 years since I've done any 3D graphics so
it's possible I'm missing something very basic!

??