[Fluxus] texture transparency for particles

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 01:20:24 PDT 2009

Gabor;

>  Are there any known factors that would cause this?
>>
> it's difficult to tell without seeing your code, but try
> (hint-ignore-depth). it is needed for transparent objects, because the
> transparent parts are also written to the z-buffer, which should be avoided.
> then you also need (hint-depth-sort), but as i see you are using that
> already.

Ah! I'll try experimenting with ignore-depth. Maybe we'll have to have a
look at the code after that; it's a bit of a mess right now because of all
of the experimenting.

it does not matter when it is called. it is specified on state level. simply
> put fluxus works in two passes. first it sets hints, object parameters,
> transformation, etc. then it renders everything in the second pass.

That's good to know; no more voodoo for me then.

if you use (scale) with non-uniform values on the particle primitive, it
> will distort the orientation of the particles. they will not face towards
> the screen. try to change the "s" primitive data instead if you want to
> scale the particles.

AH! That's what I needed indeed. It seems to me like scale also has a rather
unusual effect on loading textures (like a sort of zoom?). I suppose that
predictability might be fundamentally opposed to the Fluxus spirit? :-)