[Fluxus] nuke button crash

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Sep 4 02:27:00 PDT 2008

>> This is now fixed in cvs, but I'm trying to track down another elusive
>> crash I got last night - which is proving to be difficult to spot.
> are you sure you committed the changes? i don't see anything changed
> apart from ribbon-prim.scm and poly-tools.ss.
>
> could you explain how you found the cause for the f6 crash, please? i
> tried a couple of things, but i was unable to do anything with the
> extensive list of scheme calls which came from the backtrace.

Yeah, I should have elaborated. In brief I fixed the symptom not the
cause, there was a syntax error inside (poly-for-each-face).

It's my understanding that the fluxus module scheme code is compiled to
bytecode when you start up fluxus. The new version of PLT does some
further optimisation, or more likely has better error detection on the
code it compiles. It was trying to print out an error that
poly-for-each-face had a misplaced paren. However at the time during
reset, there is no message handler, so it falls over trying to print the
warning. Phew! :)

It was late and I was doing other things, so I just fixed the error and
swept it under the carpet, along with the issue of why it didn't crash on
startup, or where the error message goes to at startup...

I'm a bit more worried about this other crash as it happened while I was
in the middle of livecoding something fairly gfx intensive[1] and wasn't
even running anything (every-frame) so I think it's a crash inside the
renderer, which we haven't had for some time.

Given the nature of what I was doing it could be something shadow related,
which is relatively new. I'll do some more testing later.

[1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-griffiths/2826439650/in/photostream/