[Fluxus] obj files

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Mar 25 04:17:01 PDT 2008

> Only weights would already be somthing i think, we could have the same
> bones hierarchy (names, positions and parentship) written in scheme,
> the positions would be an aproximation im not sure if this can work
> but would be the easiest/fastest from what we already have

True. I'll have a go at doing this - this would be the quick way to get
the majority of what we want working. Also, a blender script to take a
skeleton and convert it into a fluxus script automatically *should* be
trivial.

> but something to "bake" the animation and make it fast would be good for
> larger models perhaps.

Yes, I plan to support some sort of vertex caching, for baking off complex
animations and deformers from blender. This is quite easily supported in
fluxus, as the sets of vertices can be stored as pdata arrays, and easily
switched between.

> verse comes to mind thinking about this :),

Another good point. Verse seems much more interesting than the wading
through XML that is collada, so maybe I should look at that first. I've
joined the verse mailing list, but it seems a bit quiet. My feeling is
that we need both though.

> dont worry about learning
> skinning on blender i can tell you how or do it for you if you allow
> me so, i dont want to take the fun out of you so say as you like :)
> Collada seems good but im not up to date on it at blender side, must
> check what is already implemented and working.

Well, I managed to make a skinned blob in blender yesterday, so I can have
a play around and see what happens with obj or collada export.