[Fluxus] fluxus-midi commits

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Aug 7 04:16:17 PDT 2008

>> interesting to combine. I haven't played with your midi extension yet -
>> is
>> it possible to send midi too?
> unfortunately midi out is not implemented yet. maybe sometime if there's
> request.

No worries, it's probably better to send out osc anyway.

>> in other news - I've got the occlusion map baking working, although I've
> nice! i was not able to make a good looking occlusion map with this,
> probably because i was not sure how to set the parameters, but i really
> like the generated ray structure :).

The version in cvs uses pixels-burn to attempt to spread out the effect of
the ray collisions to reduce the number of samples needed. However, it's
actually the slowest part by far (as pixels-burn does texture width X
texture height square roots for each sample...!) it turned out to be much
better to turn up the sample density, write to single pixels, save the
texture and use gimp to blur it :)

I tried something a bit nifty in the latest one (yet to commit) which runs
the baking in a different plt thread to the rendering, so fluxus remains
responsive while writing into the texture - you can see it accumulate the
ray data, and debug it live.

I'll commit the changes and add an example that does the threading thing.