[Fluxus] Raster video status

Glauber Alex Dias Prado glauberalex at uol.com.br
Sun Sep 9 18:14:12 PDT 2007

"I. E. Smith-Heisters" <public at 0x09.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Looking at the fluxus FAQ I see
> ---
> Can I use fluxus to mix and blend video clips?
> Fluxus is a 3D renderer, so no. But plans are afoot to extend it in
> this direction using video textures.
> ---

There is a video plugin "availible" to test as of now and is supposed to
work only with the 0.12 release, you can take a look at it here:

http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/files/fluxus-video-texture-0.1.tar.gz

> But I think that was there last time I looked 6 months ago. Does
> anybody know the status of this part? Could I lend a hand? I'm an able
> C/Lisp coder with raster graphics experience, though I'm not too
> familiar with Fluxus yet.

Fluxus is coded in Cpp and shouldnt be a real problem to understand it
for a experienced coder i think as it isnt really big, lots of stuff though ;).

> I'd be wanting to do some rather advanced stuff with it, not just
> fades. Is support for something like OpenCV possible, or is that out
> of scope for Fluxus?

My wild guess is that Dave doesnt want to do it himself as he does
similar stuff at work and Fluxus is a mean of abstract out of it(he can
explain it better), but then i dont know talk to him :), also show us
some of your previous work if you feel like so, the main goal of fluxus
is livecoding and its derivatives that might arise, though it is an
open source project developed by open minded people. We are more devoted
to 3d as the visual principle but raster stuff is very welcomed i think.

> Thanks,
> Ian

Cheers,

Glauber.