[Fluxus] entities

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Sep 25 02:14:16 PDT 2007

Hi all,

As usual, I only come up with new ideas while being way too busy working
on 4 or 5 others, but I think a fluxus thing to look at soon (no time
promises :) might be some layers on top of the existing graphics commands
to make some higher level things easier.

So what I'm considering is a possible entity system - which is the start
of a more complete game engine. It would comprise a hierarchy of classes
(all written in Scheme, using PLT's classes) that would allow you to
create objects with behaviours, interacting with a world around them -
i.e. a player character, some AI driven characters, pickups (keys etc),
static things which have a state - doors, switches etc etc and the terrain
which contains it all.

This would generalise some of the livecoding games code (particually
al-jazari) to make it easier and faster to prototype new games and other
game like things. It might also take scheme livecoding in fluxus from
moving boxes and points around to more behavioural animation.

I've started a wiki page to jot down ideas here:
http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=FluxusEntities