[Fluxus] readability

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Nov 15 02:15:01 PST 2007

> i often find the editor text very difficult to read. it does not help to
> change the text colour if there are also light and dark objects in the
> background. what do you think about drawing the outlines of the letters
> also with the inverse colour? e.g. white letters, black outline.
>
> i tried a quick hack. i scaled up the font shape and placed it behind
> the white letter in black. it makes the text more readable, but looks a
> bit ugly because of the scaling.

Yes, outlines would be good - you could also try drawing the outlines in
wireframe on top of the poly glyph, I think you can get the glyph in this
form quite easily but I forget. We could also probably get a clearer font
- I just included bitstream vera because it's free for redistribution, but
there are others we should try.

The other thing is to try making it transparent and messing with the
blendmode - thinking xor would be always visible if not pretty, I'm just
not sure how to get that effect with blendmodes.

Also, I've figured out (or rather remembered) the recalc-normals with
inverse scale puzzle - normals are calculated according to the vertex
data, which doesn't take the transform into account, if you see what I
mean.

If you want recalc-normals to take account of the scaling, you'll need to
apply-transform the primitive, which 'bakes' the transform into the vertex
positions.