[fluxus] 0.12b1 + cvs merge

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Jan 12 08:19:22 PST 2007

>> I don't think I'd want any more language bindings in the main fluxus cvs
>> -
>> but I briefly had a python version working, it's not hard to do, and I'd
>> be very happy to support the core graphics functions for other projects
>> using libfluxus. We could put a new target in to install it as a dynamic
>> lib.
>
> thinking about it some more, the front end app is scheme independant now
> too, it would be doable to use it as an editor to a haskell
> interpreter/repl with some equivelent to every-frame.

and - thinking of haskell particually, there are a few things about the
philosophy going on with fluxus. basically what it boils down to is that
computer graphics works very very well imperatively.

things like (push) (pop) and (grab) use stacks for hierachically storing
state, which would be (I imagine) considered very bad taste to the
hardcore functional programmer. scheme is quite well matched to this as
it's a hybrid approach - and I like it for that. it's something I've been
meaning to mention at some point, because it sort of happened by accident.

I guess you could implement (draw-cube) etc - but would you have to
specify the entire state with it every time? I think the answer would
involve the word monad somewhere :)