[fluxus] 0.12b1 + cvs merge

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Jan 12 05:19:17 PST 2007

Dave Griffiths wrote:
>> and fluxus works!
>
> fantastic! I'll be able to apply your patch, a lot of the fixes you found
> are in cvs already. do you want cvs access?

If you were to give me CVS access, I'd commit fixes for bugs that affect
me (but those fixes might break non-Gentoo), and maybe documentation
related stuff.

(in the list below, - and + are from Fluxus' point of view)

- I've never used cvs other than anon checkout
+ I do use svn for my projects, so I know roughly how versioning works
- I can only check things work on Gentoo (two machines to test on)
+ I can check ATI vs software rendering issues
- I try to avoid C++ wherever possible, too painful
- I've got into Haskell, which makes Scheme seem painful
- Haskell OpenGL bindings exist
- Haskell has a REPL interpreter
+ Haskell REPL is incompatible with Haskell OpenGL, because HOpenGL
requires calling mainLoop which doesn't return
+ Haskell liblo bindings might not exist
+ Haskell libode bindings might not exist
- Haskell nD matrix/vector libraries exist [1]
+ I wrote the one I use
- I wrote it in Haskell

However, I would probably want to port Fluxus to use Haskell instead of
Scheme, which would enrage everyone using Fluxus ;)

Unless... I did it in such a way that you could have both Scheme and
Haskell scripts in the same running instance of Fluxus?

How language-agnostic is Fluxus' core?

In hsext [2] I call C functions from Haskell and call Haskell functions
from C, both directions using the C ABI.  Haskell has a mechanism for
wrapping a Haskell function into a C function pointer at runtime, if
Scheme has something like this and Fluxus uses this to call Scheme code,
it should be (relatively) easy to add Haskell support.

[1] Here's a thingy I made using Haskell + OpenGL + my nD stuff:
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/files/coding/polytopiary/cube-4d-01.gif

[2] Allowing you to write Pd objects in Haskell
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/index.php?page=gallery/coding/hsext
http://devel.goto10.org/listing.php?repname=maximus&path=%2Fhsext%2F&rev=0&sc=0

Claude